Combining fibre sources that are all low in starch and sugars, Healthy Hooves is ideal for promoting gut health. A comprehensive range of vitamins and minerals are included to complement those naturally occurring in alfalfa to provide a balanced diet for your horse or pony.
PROVEN NUTRIENTS FOR HEALTHY HOOVES
Several studies have been conducted into how much biotin a horse requires. A study published in the Equine Vet Journal (1992), found that greater growth rates and hardness of hooves was achieved at a daily feeding rate of 15mg of biotin than at 7.5mg in horses diets. The level of biotin included in Dengie Healthy Hooves has been formulated accordingly and thus when fed at the recommended rates will provide a 500kg horse with 15mg of biotin per day.
Research published in the Vet Record (1987) demonstrated that alfalfa increases the quality and quantity of horn growth which was attributed to the highly available calcium and essential amino acids found naturally in alfalfa.
B vitamins have a wide range of functions within the horse’s digestive system including energy metabolism and growth and development. Healthy Hooves was the first chopped fibre feed on the market with a full range of all these important nutrients.
KEY BENEFITS OF HEALTHY HOOVES
- Dengie Healthy Hooves has a full range of B vitamins including biotin at levels that research has shown to be effective at maximising hoof health
- Low sugar and starch – research has shown that horses and ponies predisposed to laminitis are at greater risk if fed cereals. Healthy Hooves is free from whole cereal grains.
- Chelated Trace Minerals – these are important for improved bio-availability to the horse, i.e. they are more easily absorbed. Trace minerals are important for general condition including hooves and coat condition and are also integral components of the body’s antioxidant system.
- Essential High-Fibre – fibre provides slow release energy and is essential for maximising gut health.
- Highly palatable – Healthy Hooves contains added garlic for great palatability and pellets for added interest.
Typical analysis ‘as fed’
Digestible Energy 8.5MJ/kg
Ash (mineral) 9.5